Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thursday Thoughts!

So what does a girl say on the day after her birthday? Not much...it was a pretty low key affair, I baked a lovely carrot cake in the a.m. had coffee with a new friend, then piddled in the afternoon. Dinner was in, my choice, since it had been nearly two weeks since we have been able to sit down and eat at our own table, I though it was a great idea! Menu was my choice as well, meatloaf, mashed potatoes w/gravy, and corn, YUMMY, comfort food. It was nice to get phone calls, texts and cards throughout the day, but the best part was just sitting at the table enjoying easy conversation and yummy food. The schedule has been really full the last few weeks so those times have been fewer and fewer and with the upcoming holiday season they may become extinct for the time being.

The days are still quite warm here, but I know the calendar shows we are in November. I really like it, however, it is a bit odd. Although I did pull out a denim jacket the other day while I ran out to an evening meeting. I didn't really need it for the outdoor environment, but with the A/C in the building it was nice to have.

I find myself wondering what I do, but then I look at my calender and see I do many things because there are many things listed on it, but some days I wonder what I really do...something I have been pondering amongst the many meetings, volunteer commitments, social engagements, church, graduations, proclamations, "fill in the blank" drives, promotions, tours, launches, retirements, etc.that I attend. I do feel like sometimes my garage door goes up and down more then the stock market as I dash in and out going to and fro and at the end of the day I wonder what did I do today? It is my intent to do those things that be glorifying to my God. So I smile as often as possible, give an encouraging word, hopefully, bring a smile to someone else, lighten a load, lend a hand, offer experience and be a friend to the friendless. I do not aim to be in the midst of the hubbub, I prefer the background, I so do not want to make someone else feel uncomfortable, or unworthy or out of sorts because of my presence, I desire to be approachable, friendly and received with no pretenses. These are not easy things to achieve, these are not extraordinary things that most of us would not want, but I find myself struggling to keep my life in perspective, to not get up in arms over things that are out of my control, to be gracious in my many circumstances, to be positive, to be a good role model. I trust God for my wisdom, strength and my salvation and I find it incredible that others make it in life without Him, I know I could not, I don't even want to try, I thank God that He loves me, day in and day out in spite of my many shortcomings.

My thoughts today are...
  • I am thankful for life!
  • I am thankful for a new friend.
  • I am thankful for getaway trips!
  • I am thankful for iced pumpkin spice coffee :)
  • I am thankful for the protocol staff who keeps me in line!

1 comment:

Susie said...

Sounds like you had a great birthday!