Sunday, December 21, 2008

Still in the deep freeze here...

Well, it was another frigid day in my world. We did not get above 2 degrees and we were at -27 degrees with wind chill for most of the day. According to the weatherman here we have not seen this kind of extreme temperatures at this time of the year since 1990. And believe it or not, I do remember it, I was pregnant with Lil'Blue at the time and it WAS extremely cold and I was trying to get to MO for Christmas...hmmm, there are lots of things that happened 18 years ago that are happening this year in my life as well.

Lil'Blue and I did venture out for church this morning. Roads were icy with snow pack on top and still quite slippery in the subdivision; although the main roads are starting to have "tracks" in them they are not clear and plenty of icy patches remain. The church parking lot was an ice rink! Whoa, talk about slippery, glad I wore sturdy shoes along with my wool pants, wool tights, and wool sweater. It was so cold it took your breath away.

We are trying to be hopeful for warmer weather so we can head south tomorrow. Usually we head out at first light but since it is so cold I think we will wait for mid morning and pray for warmer temps before making our trek. I really do not want to wait any longer, we have snow showers in the forecast for tomorrow afternoon and again on Tuesday, so waiting is really not an option if we want to be there before Christmas Eve day. Interstate road conditions according to the DOT webpages for IA and MO report they are clear. I pray so.

Unless we are delayed again tomorrow this will be my last post before Christmas, so MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone! Take time to really enjoy the true meaning of this splendid season and share your blessings with those that you meet : ) While we celebrate the birth of the baby in a manger, please do not forget that the baby grew up and died a horrible death for our sins. He is our redeemer, our saviour!

...He came to pay a debt He did not owe because we owed a debt we could not pay.

1 comment:

Susie said...

It's freezing here too:-( Have a Merry Christmas and stay warm:-)