Friday, May 18, 2012

Seriously, it's true...manners do count!

I am a manners type of girl. I'm not a manners police type, it's just that I notice them. I like manners. I think it's just right. It makes me so very happy and honestly proud to hear my own child (who is 21 years old!) use her manners.

I am forever using titles with the Littles and other younger people in my life. I just like them, manners that is. I think it should always be Uncle Bill, Miss Maxine, Aunt Tami, Mr Jerry. I don't know why, I just think it's the right thing. I am also the one "titling" those in uniform even out. Right, wrong or indifferent it's what I do. There are some people who are sir, or Colonel or Chief in or out of uniform. To me no matter the relationship I just cannot get past the title. Some think it's too formal and really they try to get me and others (like me) to "loosen up" but I feel if I do loosen up we lose something. Something that I can't quite put my finger on but we have already lost too much of whatever it is.

I was so pleased when I recently had the opportunity to be on a three way phone call with LilBlue and got to hear, "yes ma'am", "no ma'am" without any coaching from me. It was a heart swelling moment in my parenthood experiences. Those moments are priceless

I also enjoy hearing her use please and thank you, and frankly, the more the better. And recently in the hospital when she was upchucking she even said thank you each time she was assisted in the midst of the hurling, really, she did, I was somewhat amazed myself.  But it was awesome. I just think manners will serve you well no matter where you are or what you are doing. Seriously, I believe that wholeheartedly! Now, I don't want you to misunderstand me and think you should "put on your manners" in hopes of getting something, no, no, no, that would make me sad. My desire is that people would just makes manners apart of who they are. I think it would be a nice improvement for anyone.



Pinned Image


Sooooo, that's me on my cereal box today, I'll crawl off now before I get started on thank you notes...yeah, I know, I am one of those, I think thank you cards are the right thing. But I fear it's another one of those lost art areas.

I hope you have a great weekend, I'm planning to :)

No comments: