Thursday, October 13, 2011

31 Days of Military Life ~ Day 13

Well that rain I told you about yesterday didn't amount to much. Today is another gorgeous day in LA. And while it still feels like summer out there right now, this a.m. it was a bit crisp and I liked it. It's been such a busy today and tomorrow will hold even more I have not been out much to enjoy it. But I plan to sit in the sunshine in just a few minutes while my veggies are roasting.

I am making a new chili recipe to take to the Commander's house, I sure hope it taste good. It is a vegetarian recipe and it uses carrots and sweet potatoes. This is the recipe but again I am roasting my veggies not sauteing. I also doubled the recipe. I will let you know if I like it!


Ingredients:

  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, sliced
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 15 ounce can black beans
  • 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes or tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper

Preparation:

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil for a minute or two, then add sweet potatoes, carrots and bell pepper until onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium low, and add remaining ingredients, stirring to combine well.
Simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes, until flavors have mingled and vegetables are cooked. 
 
I spent my morning at PWOC and then my afternoon was at the Airman's Attic, a quick stop at the commissary again for the "cold" stuff I needed and then straight on home where I am prepping for the chili above and dinner tonight. I am hoping to finish getting pictures for the claim as well. Then I am praying an early arrival home this evening from MiB so we can enjoy a quiet evening at home!
Since it IS THURSDAY here are some of my thoughts!
  • I love fall, where is it?
  • Need some new wardrobe items...
  • Wish I could be in two places at once...
  • Ready for a road trip to Dallas & SPRINKLES!
  • Going to MO in a few days for a wedding, woohoo!


No comments: