Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day 24 - Military - MiB

As you know, or at least I hope you know by now, MiB is my husband and he serves in the United States Air Force. It's a job that is a lifestyle and certainly not 9-5, it's 24/7/365. It's been that way since I can remember. It's our life not just his, that is just the way it is when you are a military family.

 
MiB at a neighborhood event with the littlest Marine!

I have blogged many of our experiences as a military family but thought I would hit on some of the ordinary things again. We have an opportunity to do many things and many things are just a part of this life. Promotions and retirements are regular occurrences. They are always happening usually weekly.
 Recent Chief retirement...

 Senior Master Sgt Promo from a ways back...

Then there are the community events, mixers, luncheons, dinners. Once you get to know folks those are enjoyable as well, this community as I have said before has some phenomenal folks who bring the support, they don't just give us lip service they back it up! It's incredible and we feel so blessed by these organizations who show up to GIVE and give generously to this base.

And there are military related functions too, some are unexplainable and you get so much more then you realize out of them. Recently, our base hosted a handful of Wounded Warriors. They came to hunt on the thousands of acreage here. The night before their hunt was a dinner and we met the guys. These were no ordinary guys...they were truly warriors and hero's. I was in awe. I was also a little bit embarrassed that earlier in the day I was complaining about my foot hurting. Yeah, being around these guys made me realize how petty my whining was. I mean I sat with JJ a double amputee who was a very upbeat young man who wasn't complaining or whining about his "feet"! And then there was Thomas our other table mate. I've gotta tell you this guy was a poster child for living life with an attitude of gratitude, he was amazing. I just loved his spirit immediately.

Words cannot convey how touched I was from this event.

Not all events are as enjoyable as the one above. There are times I feel like we are a display, almost like a zoo exhibit. This happens inadvertently I'm sure but it still happens, it's awkward and we just move on. Some folks have never had the experience of knowing people in or affiliated with the military and they just don't think before speaking. It's nothing really but it's something that often leaves me feeling odd. I've probably done the same in some other situation.

Military life to me is as ordinary as the air I breath. I know this is not the case for many. Even some of my young counterparts as they are just entering this blue world and are learning to navigate the waters are soooo lost. I hope they just press on and embrace it, it's not like anything else but it's worth the efforts of learning this world/culture; it really is!

Day + # blogging explanation here.

No comments: